Saturday, October 13, 2007

I'd Rather Be Singing

As I sit here noticing the clock and remembering what was happening to me a week ago right now, shaking a little from the memory of it, crying a little from the memory of it, because I couldn't shake or cry in the moment -- my cielo reminded me of this song which we both like.

DANCING IN FRONT OF THE GUNS
Words and music by Libby Roderick
c Libby Roderick Music 1991
BMI. All rights reserved
From Thinking Like a Mountain

We're facing the guns again, we have faced them before
Humanity's longing after so many deaths
For something more human than war
But part of me whispers "Take your body and run away.
Leave the vision to somebody else," then I hear myself say,

I'd rather be dancing at the edge of my grave.
I'd rather be holding you close as we march forward loving and brave.
I'd rather be singing in the face of my fear.
I'd rather be dancing in front of the guns as long as I'm here.

Life is so dangerous that there's little to fear
Life is so possible, every breath a frontier
They've brought out the guns once again 'cuz they haven't a clue
That we could be dancing, the whole human race, each one must choose

And I'd rather be dancing at the edge of my grave...

To the drum of my heartbeat pounding up through my feet
With millions of lovers urging me on as we take to the streets
As we face the terror, if I leave here before my time
One thing's for certain, I'll go dancing and I'll go alive!

And I'd rather be dancing at the edge of my grave...