Friday, June 29, 2007

All About Towanda

Who is Towanda?
I am a 44-year old woman, although sometimes I feel like I'm 27. Or 6. What does 44 feel like? Heck if I know. I still like to splash in mud puddles, play catch, and eat popsicles.

I am a graduate from Iliff School of Theology in Denver, CO. I am an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ (UCC); as an anti-racist feminist, peace-and-justice-loving, I'll-speak-my-mind-if-it-pleases-me, decolonizing, lesbian woman, it's good to have a place I can call home with my whole self. I consider myself a radical street pastor, "the fierce good reverend of the revolution" as I have been named by friends in the freedom movement.  I also teach at Iliff on occasion.

Is Towanda Your Real Name?
Towanda is my alter ego, as in, "Towanda, the amazing Amazon woman! Righter of wrongs! Queen beyond compare!" If that doesn't ring a bell, go rent "Fried Green Tomatoes."

Where all have you lived again?
In chronological order:
*Monticello, AR, 9 years. My birthplace, in the county my ancestors founded.
*Austin, TX, 2 years, while Dad was in seminary.
*Chanute, KS, 5 years. I call this my time of "exile."
*North Little Rock, AR, 1 1/2 years, then summers while I was in college.
*Dallas, TX, 4 years, while I was at SMU.
*Hunt, TX, for one summer when I worked at Mo-Ranch.
*Hobbs, NM, for one school year.
*San José, Costa Rica, for 1 year.
*Louisville, KY, for one summer, while I worked at the PCUSA office.
*Brief (6 weeks) stay in Silver City, NM.
*Tucson, AZ, for 4 years.
*Santa Fe, NM, for 2 years.
*Portland, OR for 5 years.
*Denver, CO...we shall see! 8 years and counting...

Do You Really Like Baseball That Much?
Yes, I do! I think heaven will be endless ball fields where anyone can play, and there's choir practice and opera between innings. Free beer/cokes, peanuts, and hotdogs.

Who is "Cielo?"
My partner of 20 years. "Cielo" is Spanish for sky or heaven, and is also a term of endearment.

How Long Have You Been Blogging?
Since 2003, and here since July 4, 2007.

How Can I Get In Touch With You?
E-mail me at towandaswindowATgmail.com