Friday, June 29, 2007

More About Me

(Originally posted July, 2005).

A prompt picked up from elsewhere:

My uncle aunt (I don't have an uncle) once took me on a birding trip through Central America. Because I was almost always working when I was in Central America, I did not get to see much of the countries besides the large cities. So when I finished up my work with the PC(USA) in 2000, I accompanied my aunt on a three week tour of Guatemala (Tikal), Nicaragua (Lake Nicaragua) and Costa Rica (Monteverde Cloud Forest). She taught me about birding, and I helped her talk to the guides and found transportation and housing. It was an awesome trip, and helped heal me in a lot of ways.

Never in my life have I wanted to jump out of an airplane.

When I was five, I got my very own room for my birthday. The colors were gold and red, and everything matched, including a cute sunflower smiley-face throw rug.

High school was better once we moved back to Arkansas from Kansas.

I will never forget the first time I kissed a girl. Or the first time I kissed my cielo.

I once met Maya Angelou when she came to SMU my senior year. I skipped my education class to go to her workshop. I learned more about education from her than from all my ed. classes combined. And at the end of the workshop, I introduced myself, told her I was from Arkansas too, and she gave me a huge hug.

Once, at a bar, a gay guy tried to pick me up. Seriously.

By noon I am just about awake and ready to roll.

Last night, I had a meeting at church. After that I came home and watched the replay of the Home Run Derby.

If only my church softball team played more than once a week. I want to play more!

Next time I go to church, I'll be playing piano for worship, just like I do every other Sunday.

I have a confession to make… I drink Coke even though they have a terrible labor and human rights record in Latin America.

When I turn my head left, I can see posted on my work desk bulletin board all the ballpark sketches I have done during staff meetings for the last year. I also have up a Peanuts cartoon, two Calvin and Hobbes 'toons, and a Boondocks 'toon.

When I turn my head right, besides all the normal office supply stuff, there is a picture of Oscar Romero.

You know when I’m lying when when I say "...only a little." Actually it's not so much a lie as being afraid to tell the truth. Like, "Are you mad?" "A little." When what I really mean is "YES!"

Every day I think Do I have to get up? My cielo is so warm and yummy here next to me...

By this time next year, I'll have finished with my first year at Iliff. Oh my.

I have a hard time understanding why the American people won't speak up, and are happy to be distracted and lied to and manipulated.

If I ever go back to school ...oh yeah, I guess I am!

You know I like you when I actually let you in a little bit. That and I get a little flirty at first.

If I won an award, the first person I’d thank would be my cielo.

My ideal breakfast is scrambled eggs with lots of cheese, bacon, and hash browns. Preferably all rolled up in a tortilla with salsa.

A song I love, but do not have Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes."

If you visit my hometown, I suggest you go in the spring when all the daffodils are popping. And stay at the Trotter House. (When I was 5 or 6, my picture was taken in front of the Trotter House for the local paper...I was surrounded by daffodils).

Why won’t anyone change the stupid "All-Star game winner gets World Series home-field advantage" rule? It's just silly, and it doesn't make the game "mean something." It's an All-Star game. If you want it to mean something, make sure the actual stars show up (Pedro Martinez), and dump the rule that every team has to be represented, thus eliminating the "He's an All-Star? I've never heard of him! Oh, he plays for Tampa" reaction.

If you spend the night at my house, you can be sure to receive the amazing hospitality of a Southerner and a Latina.

I’d stop my wedding if my partner didn't show up. But that ain't never gonna happen.

The world could do without violence as a "means" to resolve conflict.

I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than root for the yankees.

Paper clips are more useful when ...okay, what does this have to do with anything?

If I do anything well, I get all shy if you actually point it out.

The last time I was drunk, I fell over hugging a friend and gashed my left elbow. And I didn't even feel it.