Thursday, May 22, 2008

Psalm 109

What I love about the Scriptures: They are utterly human.

Psalm 109: 1-13, 20-31

Do not be silent, O God of my praise.

For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me, speaking against me with lying tongues.

They beset me with words of hate, and attack me without cause.

In return for my love they accuse me, even while I make prayer for them.

So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love.

They say, “Appoint a wicked one against her; let an accuser stand on her right.

When she is tried, let her be found guilty; let her prayer be counted as sin.

May her days be few; may another seize her position.

May her children be orphans, and her wife a widow.

May her children wander about and beg; may they be driven out of the ruins they inhabit.

May the creditor seize all that she has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his toil.

May there be no one to do her a kindness, nor anyone to pity his orphaned children.

May her posterity be cut off; may her name be blotted out in the second generation."


May that be the reward of my accusers from the Lord, of those who speak evil against my life.

But you, O HaShem my God, act on my behalf for your name’s sake; because your steadfast love is good, deliver me.

For I am poor and needy, and my heart is pierced within me.

I am gone like a shadow at evening; I am shaken off like a locust.

My knees are weak through fasting; my body has become gaunt.

I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they shake their heads.

Help me, O HaShem my God! Save me according to your steadfast love.

Let them know that this is your hand; you, O HaShem, have done it.

Let them curse, but you will bless. Let my assailants be put to shame; may your servant be glad.

May my accusers be clothed with dishonor; may they be wrapped in their own shame as in a mantle.

With my mouth I will give great thanks to HaShem; I will praise Her in the midst of the throng.

For She stands at the right hand of the needy, to save them from those who would condemn them to death.