Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thoughts For the Day

I cleaned out my carrel yesterday (more on that later), which I hadn't really been to in a week or so. So I tore off the pages of my baseball fact/quote-a-day calendar to get caught up. Here are some quotes I liked.

Thomas Boswell: "All baseball fans can be divided into two groups: those who come to batting pracice and the others. Only those int eh first category have much chance of amounting to anything."

(Guess which category I'm in!)

Willie Stargell: "It's supposed to be fun. The man says 'Play Ball' not 'Work Ball' you know."

Carl Yastrzemski: "I think about baseball whyen I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."

Ricky Henderson: "If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game."

Lowell Cohn: "I think a baseball field must be the most beautiful thing in the world. It's so honest and precise. And we play on it. Every star gets humbled. Every mediocre player has a great moment.