Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday Five: Pie Edition

I haven't done one of these from the revgals in ages, but when I saw the theme -- PIE -- I couldn't resist!

This one's for you, my dear BlueEyes, pie-maker extraordinaire (her apple-pear-cranberry pie we had on Tuesday was scrumptious!).

Please answer these five questions about pie:

1) Are pies an important part of a holiday meal?
I am of the opinion that pie is an important part of ANY meal.  Including picnics and birthday celebrations in the Rocky Mountain National Park (it helps that there is a FANTASTIC pie shop on the way).

2) Men prefer pie; women prefer cake. Discuss.
Really?  All the women in my life prefer pie in general.  Although we all do appreciate a really good chocolate cake.

3) Cherries--do they belong in a pie?
Yes.  Best pie I have ever had was the cherry pie at from the Estes Park Pie Shop (see link above), the tartness was amazing.  The fact that there were deer roaming around just made it better (yes, it was desert for a picnic in the RMNP).

4) Meringue--if you have to choose, is it best on lemon or chocolate?
I think meringue is best when it's by itself in those little meringue cookies, dusted in chocolate.

5) In a chicken pie, what are the most compatible vegetables? Anything you don't like to find in a chicken pie?
Hmm, I have not given this much thought.  I guess I would say carrots, peas, potatoes, onions, maybe celery?  I rarely eat this kind of pie, so am not an expert.