Friday, October 2, 2015

I Am All Happiness

If you've been reading here a while you know how much I love goats.  I've been working at my friend's farm for years off and on, and weekly for the last year or so. 

A poet friend sent me this (from the New Yorker), which describes perfectly why I love my goat friends.  Enjoy.

Pescadero, by Mark Doty

The little goats like my mouth and fingers,

and one stands up against the wire fence, and taps on the fence board
 a hoof made blacker by the dirt of the field,

pushes her mouth forward to my mouth, 
 so that I can see the smallish squared seeds of her teeth, and the bristle-whiskers, 

and then she kisses me, though I know it doesn’t mean “kiss,”

then leans her head way back, arcing her spine, goat yoga, 
all pleasure and greeting and then good-natured indifference: she loves me,

she likes me a lot, she takes interest in me, she doesn’t know me at all  
or need to, having thus acknowledged me. Though I am all happiness, 

since I have been welcomed by the field’s small envoy, and the splayed hoof,  
fragrant with soil, has rested on the fence board beside my hand. 


April 4, 2015, Holy Saturday (between Good Friday and Easter).
Mary Magdalene was born right into my lap.  Lemongrass was a great first-time mama.