Friday, June 29, 2007

Thought For A Move...To Seminary

(Originally posted December, 2005. The Merton quote is still incredibly relevant).

Amazing that, God willing and a blizzard don't hit, this time next week at this time we will be in Denver. Maybe we'll have the truck unloaded, too! It's a crazy time, and you'll forgive the sporadic posting...soon the computer will have to go into a box, too, you know! Emotions are all over the map, joy and grief all mixed together. What I do konw is that God is present in all of it. Truly the grief is a gift, to let us know that we loved and were loved, here, in this soggy, dark place called Portland.

I ran across this prayer by Thomas Merton while filing, and it seemed most appropriate. I share it with you.

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.

I do not see the road ahead of me.

I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself,

and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.

And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.

I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear, for you are ever with me,

and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.


from "Thoughts in Solitude"