Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Home Again, Home Again

I had a great time in Arkansas, and I made it home about 2pm yesterday afternoon. I left Monday morning and thought seriously about driving the whole way -- I had done it the week before after all -- because my cielo was getting home from Guatemala (she went for her brother's wedding) Monday night and I was missing her.

Well, I got close to half way and realized I couldn't do it. I was tired, too tired for even a coffee rush to get me through, and it was dark, and had dropped below freezing, and there was maybe black ice patches on the highway but I couldn't tell for sure but since it was dark and below freezing and I was tired I didn't really want to risk it.

So I stopped in Russell, Kansas, about an hour west of Salina. There ain't much there, let me tell you. Boy I was tired. I had some supper and checked up on email and watched Monday Night Football and as tired as I was, I couldn't get to sleep. I slept poorly. Got up yesterday morning still tired, even more achy than before (being sore a little on Monday from the skeet-shooting on Sunday). Well, I thought I just needed some coffee.

And I headed out, filling up the gas tank and pulling through McD.'s (which I rarely eat at, but it was the only choice, I kid you not) for a breakfast sandwich and two large cups of coffee ...possibly the worst coffee I have ever had.

As the journey progressed I kept feeling worse and worse. I thought I had just kick-restarted my cold that I had before I left and which hadn't gone completely away. But then I started feeling nauseous. About an hour into the Middle of Nowhere, Colorado, I had to pull over because I was dizzy and nauseous. I called my cielo and had her talk to me while I rolled down the windows and inhaled the cold high plains air. When I felt a little better I started driving again, my cielo still talking to me and trying to keep me calm. I got a little bit farther -- 15 or 20 minutes, maybe -- and then had to pull over again, at which point I got out of the car, and heaved all over the dry grass on the shoulder.

Maybe you didn't want to to know that...

Finally I got back on the road, and my cielo talked me all the way back to Denver. I got home, washed my face and brushed my teeth, fell into bed, and slept for three hours. When I woke up, I had a fever. Got up and huddled on the couch for a few hours, then went to bed early and slept hard.

I am better today. A little tender of the tummy, but definitely better. Happy to be home. Not really the way I wanted to end my road trip, but oh well. At least my cielo was here at the end of the road to take care of me!