Thursday, December 20, 2007

Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Today is the 35th anniversary of the day I almost died, but lived. My mom and dad sent me their memories of that day this morning, and my cielo and I have had a few teary moments.

I am thankful to be alive, and I thought it would be nice to make a list (not remotely close to exhaustive) of all the reasons why. It's a very long list, and I'm thankful for that, too.

  • My cielo, my cielo, my cielo, who has a whole long list all to herself...
  • My family, and that we all seem to like each other so much.
  • The ancient Ozark and Ouachita mountains in Arkansas.
  • Dr. Johnnie and Tall Dr. Hicks, who saved my life.
  • All the beautiful people who have come into my life over all these years (y'all, too!).
  • My cielo's delightful family.
  • Becoming an honorary Nicaraguan.
  • Getting to travel so much.
  • Growing into my voice and my self.
  • Baseball.
  • Chocolate.
  • Sunset on the Catalina mountains in Tucson.
  • Standing underneath the outstretched arms of giant saguaros.
  • My first Spanish teacher.
  • Playing piano and guitar and french horn.
  • Turtles.
  • Discovering blogging and kind people around the world who like to read what I write.
  • Singing the Brahms Requiem in college.
  • The night I hit 4 hits and 4 RBI as a fill-in player in a co-ed softball game, and was told I must be a "ringer."
  • Riding my bike across town to swim all afternoon.
  • Wading in mountain streams.
  • Seeing the Rocky Mountains for the first time, and then hiking in them the first time with TheologyBabe.
  • Ice-cold Coke.
  • My daddy's cooking.
  • My cielo's cooking.
  • The hike I took with TBro at Philmont.
  • The camping trip with SBro where the creek flooded from the overnight thunderstorm.
  • The Mustang Band.
  • The Bridgeport choir.
  • Silver Falls.
  • Iliff and my favorite professor.
  • The circle of hurricane voices.
  • Green grass, daffodils, roses.
  • Kitties snuggling on my feet.
  • The Purple Velvet Sisterhood.
  • The Fab Four.
  • Feast days in northern New Mexico.
  • Being called a relative by an Anishinaabe/Ojibwe man.
  • Rehearsing the Rutter Requiem at Bridgeport.
  • Birding in Central America with my aunt.
  • Being invited into people's homes all over Central America and Mexico.
  • Homemade tortillas fresh off the fire.
  • My mom playing the organ.
  • Fishing, in various times and various places with various people.
  • Playing with children.
  • Yes, even Kansas.
  • Potluck suppers at First Presbyterian, Monticello, AR.
  • Learning my family history.
  • Really good counselors to help me with depression.
  • Poetry.
  • Opera.
  • Indigo Girls.
  • Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.
  • The wide open, brilliant blue skies of New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado.
  • Sunflowers.
  • Texas hill country.
  • The Bible.
  • Good hymns, played well.
  • Guatemalan weaving.
  • Lunches and coffee dates with good friends, old and new.
  • Preaching and designing liturgy.
  • Feeding ducks.
  • Rocks.
  • Christmas trees with meaningful ornaments.
  • Buttermilk pie.
  • Goats. Especially baby goats.
  • Fine novels and mysteries.
  • Trees.
  • Clouds.
  • Tomatoes.
  • Afternoon naps.
  • My grandfather's paintings.
  • That I got to know my grandmother well enough to know that she loved me, before she got Alzheimer's.
  • Beaches in Costa Rica, lakes in Nicaragua, volcanoes in Guatemala.
  • Music of so many kinds.
  • Bonfires.
  • Our abuelitos (our adopted grandparents in Tucson).
  • Friends who have seen the worst of me, and stayed.
  • My cielo, my cielo, my cielo...
Oh, this list could keep going on and on and on...

...I am so happy to be alive!

4 comments:

  1. I am SO happy you are alive, too. And so happy you are my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. The Brahms Requiem is still my favourite choral work that I've ever performed. It will always be special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect there are a lot of folks who are glad you didn't die, even those who'll never know you almost did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're alive too. It's true that the best things life has to offer are free to us all. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy and thanks for looking in the window. Glad to have your comments here, just please remember to be kind.