Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Almost Champions

What a fun night last night. In the semifinal game we were hot -- we won, 27-5! Only in softball do you see scores like that...yikes! And that was with the "only two home runs per game" rule. I went 3-4 in that game, and scored 2 runs. The game ended on with an outstanding catch in right-center that sent us all running for the outfield in celebration.

The championship game was a lot closer. It came down to the very very last inning. We were visitors, so the other team got the last at-bat. A hit, and three straight walks (the other team didn't even try to swing the bat) on some questionable ball-strike calls, and the other team won, 15-14. I went 1 for 3, with walk.

We felt good, though. We were down 5-0 in that game, then came from behind to take a 14-8 lead. Our defense was really good (in both games, actually) and we were holding them. But the ump's strike zone kept shrinking. I was catching both games, and I watched this happen. It was frustrating to see good pitches be called balls. Plus he was not consistent; our pitcher would drop one in on the corner of the zone, and one time it would be a strike, and another ball.

Well, anyway. Considering that the team only managed to win 1 during the fall season (and apparently got beat a lot over the summer before I joined them), that we got as far as we did and played as well as we did and nearly beat the best team -- we were really happy. And it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed playing catcher, which I haven't done since 7th grade. And to play two back-to-back games felt like playing one nice, long game, which is how it should be. Co-ed softball is corrupted somewhat by having to play "on the clock" (which is an abomination unto the lord) and starting hitters off with a 1-1 count (which messes with the poetry of the game).

And on a final note, I now have not 1, but 2 lovely softball bruises. I got hit by thrown balls TWICE while running to first. In the first game I got hit in the back, near my right shoulder blade, on a throw from short. Then in the second game, I got hit in the, um, well, on my ass, on a throw from third. That one hurt like heck. I was surprised that one hurt more, considering there's a little more, er, padding there than on my back. They're both sore this morning, the one on my left cheek more so. The bruise there is lovely, a perfectly round imprint of the ball.

No, I will not be posting any pictures!

Awaiting spring training...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! It sounds like you had a great season, and the bruises are proof!

    Enjoy the (rest of) the game tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy and thanks for looking in the window. Glad to have your comments here, just please remember to be kind.